Sazerac is to plough US$200 million into its Buffalo Trace Distillery, which the US producer admits has been struggling to meet soaring demand. Full story
Although bourbon has certainly been become more popular of late, Scotch whisky remains king of worldwide whiskey sales. Granted, Scotch whisky has enjoyed a few hundred years head start on bourbon whiskey and ranges of fine Scotch are commonplace in bars around the world, while the selection and appreciation for bourbon whiskey is often limited. Read full press release
In 2015, nearly one million people came to Kentucky for its bourbon tourism industry, according to the Kentucky Distillers’ Association. It says each tourists spends an average of $1,000 during their visit.
“The Kentucky bourbon trail has a significant impact,” Kentucky Distillers’ Association President Eric Gregory said. Full story
Sazerac’s recent acquisition of Southern Comfort and Tuaca was “surprising” since it suggests the producer is looking to expand its presence outside of the US, an analyst has claimed. According to Jeremy Cunnington, senior alcoholic drinks analyst at Euromonitor International, 99% of Sazerac’s global 169 million litre sales occur in the US, with the remaining 1% sold in Canada, meaning its recent acquisitions from Brown-Forman signify a “large leap” for the group. Full story
Bourbon tourists taking in the sights and smells of Kentucky distilleries could start sipping cocktails as part of the experience if a bill that cleared a legislative panel on Tuesday becomes state law. The measure would allow distilleries in wet territories to offer by-the-drink sales to visitors. It also would let the distilleries sell more of their whiskey and offer slightly larger amounts of free samples. Full story
BARDSTOWN, KENTUCKY (Sept. 29, 2015) – Barton 1792 Distillery has unveiled a second new expression in its collection of premium 1792 whiskeys, 1792 Port Finish Bourbon. Similar to the inaugural 1792 expression released earlier this year, 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon, availability of this special expression will be quite limited. Continue reading
Buffalo Trace unveiled a $20 million investment Friday: a new robotic storehouse. The 83,000-square-foot warehouse, built over the past 16 months by Gray Construction, features a completely automated storage and retrieval system, installed by Westfalia Technologies, that is thought to be the first of its kind used by a distillery. It will be used for the variety of bottled spirits produced at the Frankfort plant. Full story